Mormons have been under scrutiny since it was announced Mitt Romney was running for president - and that he was Mormon. I'm guessing if you don't live in Utah you don't know that many- but I'm sure you've heard the rumors or even had a missionary on your doorstep before.
After just celebrating my first year as a member of the LDS church- I'd like to go ahead and debunk some of these misconceptions and give you a better understanding of who we are, what we believe, and what we do.
Top 5 Myths about Mormons:
1. Mormons are NOT Christian
Mormons are very much Christians! Hence the name "The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints"
Historic Christians hold the Bible as the sole word of God-while Mormons rely on the Bible as well as other scriptures including the Book of Mormon.
LDS members get a bad wrap when someone hears to them referred to as "Mormons" it makes people think we're not Christian-but that's just a nick name!
2.They have multiple wives (or practice polygamy)
In my opinion, this is the biggest misconception plaguing us today. With shows like "Sister Wives" on the air it's hard not to get confused. While they do state that they are FUNDAMENTALIST Mormons-you still hear the word Mormon and naturally group everyone together. The truth is in the early days of the church Polygamy was involved. This practice was outlawed in 1890 and was revised in 1904 to say that any person who continues to practice polygamy will be excommunicated.
Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley addressing the matter at 1998 General Confrence:
3.) Mormons don't drink soda
Mormons drink soda. The LDS church does have a health code, known as the Word of Wisdom (issued 1833), which does condemn the consumption of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, and "hot drinks" Which current church leaders have distinguished as coffee and tea. This practice is very similar to a lot of other religions. Basically, you're not going to want to put anything into your body that you could become addicted to, or that is not good for your body.
4.) All Mormons live in Utah and are Republicans
I myself live in Cincinnati and am a Democrat. Myth dispelled? Pretty much. But as of December 2010 there were 14.1 million members world wide. As of 2012 there were 139 LDS temples around the world and 27 more under construction-including one in Peru. (Sounds kinda far from Utah, am I right?)
While many members do live in Utah and the surrounding states, that is where we settled in 1847 and have grown from there. Also, many members are Republicans based on the teachings of the church-but remember, separation of church and state.
5.) Mormons can't use birth control
Typically LDS families do have more children than the average American, but not because of a ban of birth control. The church teaches that having children is a privilege of married couples and that the number you chose to have or the space in which you chose to have them is "extremely intimate and private and should be left between the couple and the Lord"
Also, the church teaches that sex is not only for procreation. According to the Handbook for church leaders "Sexual relations within marriage are divinely approved not only for the purpose of procreation, but also as a way of expressing love and strengthening emotional and spiritual bonds between husbands and wives."
So in closing- Yes, we have missionaries. No, my husband only has 1 wive and that's all we will ever have. Yes, I am a Christian. No, I am not a Republican and I don't live in Utah. No, I don't wear "magic" underwear and Yes, I do read the bible.
Want to find out more from real Mormons like me?
Or visit my profile page to find out more about me and how I live my faith.
And a laugh for the road :)

No comments:
Post a Comment