Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Fake it and Make it

Everyone loves a good cupcake recipe. You know what else everyone loves? A drink.
Well, I bring you both...COMBINED with SAMMIE'S MALIBU CAKES!
Now I know after work not everyone has time to come home and whip up some cupcakes from scratch - so I've modified this recipe so you can also make it with a box mix as well! 

From Scratch:
 (yields 12 cupcakes / 24-30 babycakes)



What you'll need:

DRY
1 cup sugar (sifted)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (sifted)
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder 

WET
1/2 cup butter (room temp)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons Malibu Rum (I prefer Coconut Rum but you can use what you like!)



Pre-heat your oven to 350 (or warm up your babycakes)
combine all dry ingriedients thoroughly
Cream together butter and sugar - add in vanilla and rum.
Add dry ingredients to your sugary rum mix.
Stir in milk until smooth.
Cupcakes - 20/25 minutes ----- Babycakes - 5/6 minutes


Wondering what Babycakes are? 
They're literally BABY cakes! 
Rather than fool with the oven I prefer to use this: 



With help from Duncan Hines:
(yields 16-20 cupcakes / 30-40 babycakes)



What you'll need:
1 Duncan Hines Classic White cake mix
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons rum
2 tablespoons veggie oil
1 1/3 cup water

Combine together until smooth 
cupcakes 20/22 minutes ---- babycakes 4/5 minutes

****** NOTE: If using babycake maker or something similar make sure that if you're not going to change the papers between each use that you spray it EVERY time***********

For your frosting: 


3 tablespoons icing
1 teaspoon Sunny D (adjust to fit taste)
1/2 teaspoon rum (adjust to fit taste)

The icing is many people's favorite part! Remember, you can always put more in but you can't take any out. I would start off with these recommendations and then taste it, see how you feel, and adjust from there. In the end you should have a glazey consistency that is perfect to dip the cakes in like donuts.

If you prefer to do a home made frosting feel free! I would suggest just a plain butter-cream frosting that you can use orange liqueur or orange extract and rum. This would give you a nice consistency to pipe the icing onto your cupcake with an  826 or an 806 tip (Wilton) and rim with some toasted coconut.

If you go with the dunk-n-done icing like I did make sure that once you coat the cake in the icing you pop it in the freezer for at least 2 hours so the icing hardens enough for you to transport the cakes (these babies are going to my co-workers!) 

ENJOY!

milkshakes
cupcakes
same thing right? 
close enough.








No comments:

Post a Comment